Saturday, August 22, 2015

Notes on Territory to Explore.

A friend asked me what I was up to lately and I went on at length, presented here verbatim:

I've been thinking a lot about bodies lately though, and was recently challenged to think about what I'm supposed to write about. (In reference to the last clear instruction I got from Spirit, which was to write.) 

I just read a thesis about invisible disabilities (a sexual one specifically) that raised a lot of questions about expectations of sex, even in the queer community... And I was recently at a panel about body positivity. (The most personally challenging thing I heard was the suggestion that you look at yourself naked in the mirror and say I'm beautiful.)

re, the thesis though, it made me think about having genitals that do not function "normally" - and what normally means, and the fact that I'm able (at times, not always) to orgasm without my genitals operative at all...

And I've been talking to my girlfriend who had a hysterectomy and who talked at great length about how the medical establishment treats fat women

And way back when someone asked me if I had the soul of a woman, I said, I don't think spirit has gender, but we are en-fleshed spirits, so spirit has a gendered experience in us.

Theologically, I had a revelation this past year that through Jesus God carries our wounds, which were still on the resurrected Jesus. Literally the nail marks in the hands and feet and the hole the spear made in his side... mystically, rather than talking on our sin, I tend to think of the cross as taking on our suffering and pain... wounded, broken humanity. That's what God took on Herself in solidarity with us.

God set up the system. Humanity inevitable suffered or it wouldn't exist in the first place (think childbirth at the very least) and I see the cross in part as God atoning for the suffering brought about by creations itself.

My friend then responded: I was thinking about something similar to this framework the past couple of days! But about love. How love is really pain. Horrible, horrible pain. Pain so bad sometimes you wish for the release of death. But an exquisite pain! A pain we seek. So. Life, and Love. An inevitable suffering.

So you're exploring embodiment.. diversity? (she asked)

I responded: Inevitably, yes, but perhaps also questioning if there's anything to be truly divergent from? Is there a norm?

further notes: How specifically do John and Paul use the term sarx (flesh) differently. Do they use soma (body) differently as well?

Chalcedon will likely be useful in speaking of enfleshed spirit. 

No comments:

Post a Comment