Sunday, December 1, 2013

Christ the King Sermon 2013

In Jesus’ time, the prophesy of Jeremiah was likely seen in what we might now call, literal terms. While the Israelites were not exiled, their land was in the hands of conquerors. The held to the promise that God, through the messiah, would free Israel from Rome. Given that perspective, one can see how ridiculous a messiah on a cross would seem; though to mock him to his face would still be in very bad taste. 

Paul, however describes a very different way of understanding Jeremiah’s prophesy. The language of being transferred into the kingdom, was language used when a conqueror, would move a conquered people away from their homeland. The kingdom which we are being transferred to is not where we had been living.

We had been living under the power of darkness. That is the real Rome we need liberation from, not the temporal powers of Rome itself. Christ, our king, has transferred us into his kingdom, a kingdom he says in John’s Gospel, that is not of this world. This is something that somehow, no doubt through the Spirit, the “good” thief recognizes. Doomed to death alongside Jesus’ the thief does not doubt that Jesus will come into his kingdom.

Jesus promises the “good” thief paradise in response. The word here is the same word used for the Garden of Eden. Jesus is affirming that he is restoring what was long since lost. While there was much we can find in the Garden that was lost, I believe the greatest loss was an intimacy with God. Remember that God is said to have walked about openly in the garden.

But, lets for the moment turn from the kingdom to look at the King. Now I feel it necessary to say a word about using the language of King. There are several reasons –good and bad– why people find this language challenging. King and freedom are words opposed to one another in our culture. Some of this is rooted in our “rugged individual” mythology. A denial of our interdependence on one another; to rely on someone is to be enslaved.

But then, King doesn’t read as a recognition of our dependence on God, but rather of God as benevolent dictator. To obey, submit, sacrifice or serve anyone, even a divinity, sounds repulsive to many. But these terms are actually inadequate to describe the relationship with that in which we live and move and have our being.

And of course, King is a gendered term. The revised common lectionary in fact names this day Reign of Christ, rather than Christ the King in order to avoid this gendered language. And the Word of God, the second person of the trinity, clearly doesn’t have a gender. Paul in reminds us today what John’s gospel also tells us – that the Word pre-existed gender. Was a reality before gender was even created.

Yet, many have encountered this Word as Jesus, myself included. To try to use non-gendered language to refer to an encounter with Jesus, is not any more comfortable to me than using gendered language for God or Spirit. And so I will call Christ my King.

What do we see of our king in today’s readings? A broken, bloody man on a cross, who finds in his heart the ability to forgive those who are actually killing him. Forgiveness based on an understanding that they don’t know what they are doing.

Do they really not know what they’re doing? Actually, yeah, they must not – on the cosmic scale clearly, but even on the human scale it’s unlikely or they wouldn’t do it. But what do they think they’re doing instead? Is even that forgivable?

To be honest, it’s often hard for me to hold a grudge against someone who’s done me physical harm. If I step far enough back from it, I can see the struggle within them. It’s not so far distant from my own struggle with sin. A struggle often rooted in confusion and a lack of empathy for others. Oh, sure like anyone else, I do things I know I shouldn’t do. But my most grievous offenses are rooted in a lack of understanding.

A dear friend of mine has learned this about me. When he can’t communicate to me on a level of understanding what I’ve done wrong, he appeals to how what I’ve done hurts him, personally. This is not something he likes to do, but he knows that will open my mind. Compassion, empathy, are my paths to greater understanding.

So that internal human struggle, I can have empathy for and forgive – not easily mind you, there is hurt and anger to deal with - but I can do it. What I find much harder to forgive is the perpetuation, rationalization and justification of systems of oppression that lead to so much of this confusion. For me, this is the kingdom I find myself exiled in. The kingdom I want to transfer out of.

Like those in Jesus’ time who expected the messiah Jeramiah spoke of, I want this Rome to fall. My idea of paradise tend toward that direction; a land free of systems of oppression. That is not what I’m promised. The fall of Rome did not happen on “this day.” My idea of paradise is not Jesus’

Paul also does not say, we WILL BE rescued, he says we HAVE BEEN rescued. It’s already happened. For paradise is not a world free of darkness, it is a place where we can walk with God. And that place we have, here now. It is a greater reality than the world of darkness, even though we must deal with darkness every day. There are many ways to walk with God – to encounter God. Very shortly we are invited to a very intimate encounter - table fellowship with God. Do not let this world of darkness rob you of this intimate encounter with greater reality. Do not let the bread and wine confuse you – this IS your King you will be incorporating into your very being. A being already incorporated in God.
 
Readings for this sermon:
  • Jeremiah 23:1-6
  • Colossians 1:11-20  
  • Luke 23:33-43
  •  
     

    No comments:

    Post a Comment